Sunday, October 18, 2009

Culturally Responsive

In order to base my lesson with being culturally responsive as a teacher, I had to check out Dr. Garcia's "5 R's and 1 T", presentation. Dr.Garcia's standards or areas covered matched up fairly well with with Dr. Tharp's CREDE standards.

5 R's and 1 T: Dr. Garcia

1. Respectful
2. Responsive
3. Responsible
4. Resourceful
5. Reasonable
** Theory Driven

The learning stations lesson that was taught the other day did incorporate many of the CREDE standards. I would find it very challenging to meet all CREDE standards every time a teacher was planning a lesson. In this lesson, I did see where I could do better with a standard and do better with some areas in Dr. Garcia's 5 R's.

I think that CREDE standard 5 was a struggle this lesson. I did walk around and observe the students and how they were working together in their groups. This standard seems to go with some of Garcia's R's in being culturally responsive. CREDE standard 5 is Instructional Conversation. My students were all engaged and participation, but I'm not really aware who was understanding the activities. I now think that I could have cut down one station. My classes are around 20 students in size. Maybe it would have allowed me more time to sit with two groups rather than trying to access three groups.

This CREDE standard meshes well with Dr. Garcia's being responsive and responsible as a teacher. I have taken action on being responsive as a teacher. I do talk to other professionals in the building to see how other cultures do things. I try to learn about issues on eye contact, and how some cultures view having conversations. Some cultures will allow their children to speak unless spoken to at home. I want my students to openly engage and converse with me and classmates. In my lesson I was not sure that some of my students were doing this in each activity. I need to do a better job of finding out who is not engaged. I need to improve observational strategies. Each group will have to share their work and every student is responsible to share, but I am not sure how much the students contributed while in their groups.
I think that I do need to be more aware, but not sure how I can develop this in the lesson. I have not done stations in a while, so maybe I can develop a better approach with experience.

2 comments:

  1. The learning stations sound like a great way to get students actively involved in the lesson.
    You know interactive response systems (voters) would allow all of your students to participate, but in a safe way as it can remain annonymous. If you assigned students by number to a voter you could export the data later to see what individuals are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very interested to see how this works and your perceptions!

    ReplyDelete