Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Does Technology Correlate with Instructional Strategies and Behaviorism?

Teachers are still using behaviorism with instructional strategies in order to help students learn. Dr. Orey explains behaviorism as conditioning through reinforcement and punishment. When strategies are used to focus on reinforcement learning is more powerful and it shows that students are learning something (Laureate Education, 2009). Today, schools are driven by numbers on tests, and students come into the classroom with so many differences. "Reinforcing Effort" and "Homework and Practice" are two instructional strategies teachers struggle with because they are hard to balance. Technology is a tool that can help because our students are immersed in a digital world. Computers can help adapt with behaviorist learning so teachers can help in closing achievement gaps.

According to research data across 27 states (McREL), the most-used strategies are "Practice" and "Cues and Questions". On the other hand "Reinforcing Effort" is on the low end of the spectrum (Marzano, Pickering, & Pollock, 2001). As a teacher this tells me that teachers across half the U.S. do not match up when using the behaviorist approach. I use behaviorist strategies in my teaching, but can say that there is inconsistency in my follow through. I try to reinforce effort through practice and homework, but there is a lack of consistency. Students, bring in homework and I check that it is done. I believe it is good practice, but I can see that students are not getting enough in return to feel and see the importance. I offer praise and positives throughout class activities and review material, but is it enough?

In the last year I have been utilizing technology to help my behavioral methods in the classroom. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) mentions that so many teaching strategies are entrenched in technology. It is a tool that teachers can use to motivate students and reinforce their learning. I currently use interactive games and activities to help review material covered in class. These activities offer feedback and intrinsically motivate students to take an activate role in their learning. Through these educational programs my students can receive class feedback and individual reinforcement. I can collect data on spread sheets to conference with students about their progress and gains in class. Pitler et al. (2007) states, "reinforcing effort enhances students' understanding of the relationship between effort and achievement by addressing their attitudes and beliefs about learning" (p.155). When you offer digital tools, you are relating to their world.

Technology also plays a big part outside the classroom. I now incorporate digital activities for students to work on at home. Students e-mail feedback on the activities they practice. They also provide comments and opinion from teacher directed blogs. I can sit down and provide feedback and reinforcement that fits their learning. According to Marzano, et al. (2001) technology is rarely used in class, while it is a major part of their lives outside the classroom. Students today would rather be multitasking on a computer practicing and exploring, rather than filling in worksheets. They can find a more meaningful connection.

Behaviorist methods will always be used in teaching, but it should not be the only way for students to learn. Implementing technology to classroom instruction is a way to correlate practice and student reinforcement. It will help student catch up and create better connections. Meanwhile, the aid of technology can help in introducing higher level thinking, research, and testing hypotheses. While we still work to close the achievement gap and worry about test scores, students need to be problem solvers for survival in the real world. Technology can aid in this too.


References:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Behaviorist Learning Theory. Baltimore: Author.

Marzano, R.J., Pickering, D.J., & Pollock, J.E. (2001). Classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Jay.
    First I must say WOW! I love your blog. Very colorful.
    My first question: Is homework really necessary? Does it really aid students? It is a never-ending battle and I am not even sure where I stand on this issue. I assign homework on average once a week. My children, 4th and 2nd grades and PreK, have homework every night Monday through Thursday. It is quite overwhelming because we have three in school and one who is two and a half. My colleague next door never assigns homework because she feels it is not necessary. What are your thoughts?
    I like the ideas you discussed about using technology outside the school environment. I would love to do more of those types of activities, but some of my students do not have access to the technology.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think homework is needed, but I think we must be careful as to how much work we are assigning. Do the students really need 20 problems or should they do three problems show all of their work, and display a knowledge of the skill?

    I like the idea of being able to comunicate to students through technology outside of school. This allows time to review homework and give feedback necessary to promote effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay Raines said

    Melissa, I do think there is a place for homework. I call it practice and use it to help students prepare for next class and upcoming assessments. I let them start it in class, so the assignment does not take them long to do at home.

    Our school recently adopted a no grading homework policy. We used to have it count for 10%, but now it does not go against their grades.The only consequence is called second chance, where students leave the teacher's room to contact their parents when homework is not done. If parents are contacted, then they stay after and finish the assignment. If parents can't be contacted, then they may have lunch detention or turn it in the next day to the teacher. I do not agree with this policy because it creates no consistency.

    I do not like having students miss time in my class. They will miss the value of instruction. In the last year I have been using technology to take the place of pencil/paper assignments. I put activities up on my web page to supplement what is being covered in class. I have not yet come up with a consistent plan to track student's use on these activities. We do use them for review in school, I I hope it shows them the value the activities could have at home.

    I teach on a block schedule, so I see my students every other day. I think it is important to give students something they can bite into before the next class. I think homework can be useful, but really what is the best way in today's education? Hopefully technology can help me come up with a better plan of action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Ellis, I do agree homework is needed. I think the key is the benefit, so 20 or so problems may not be necessary. I teach on a block schedule, so a connection is important sometimes before they come back to class days later.

    At our school this year we are not allowed to grade homework at all. It used to be 10% of their grade. The belief is that homework does not correlate to whether students know the material? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not assign homework very often in my classes. We utilize classtime to complete work because I do not have enough books for all of my students. It makes it difficult, but I really don't have a choice. The homework that I do assign is usually something that can be completed on a home computer, but again I run into the problem that not all of my students have home computers. So, do I think homework is really necessary? No, not necessary, but it is beneficial to the students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jay,
    Do you teach High School? If you do this seems very relevant. I think it is really cool of you to incorporate technology into homework. The students would probably be more likely to do it if it is something they deem important. They also see technology as something easier than paper homework. I like your ideas.
    Brandy Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brandy, I teach 8th grade, so my students are just one year away from high school. Some students come in the following class and share how they did on activities. I also have a blog set up for students to share opinions. Here I can get their feedback. I still don't have a full proof plan to see who is using technology at home and how they are doing.

    My colleague works with a math program that students can practice at home. It sets their level and how much they want to practice. He can collect data from this and assess how they are doing with the practice at home. We do not have any programs like that for civics/economics.

    ReplyDelete