Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Game Plan in Progress

When I look closer at my goals that involve NETS-T, I see a need to make an adjustment. I still plan to move forward using digital cameras in the classroom to help with learning. I have met with our tech supervisor and we have been brainstorming a few ideas to use with the 4th grade curriculum. One such idea is to use their photo for a newspaper project where they become a daring detective. They will research a topic of interest from a book of choice. I have allowed them to use www.kidsclick.org in order to research their topic. They will create facts and a summary of their findigs. We will crop their photos and add it to the newspaper. This is a start for me. From here I'dlike to use the digital camera and student photos in a more elaborate way. I will be teaching Native Americans and Jamestown for Social Studies in the next few weeks. Any thoughts or ideas how to incorporate this digital tool into a product for student learning?

My other goal was to find a better, faster way to Blog effectively with students. In looking to use this tool, I find it to be a tool to revisit at a later time. My professional colleagues have given me some helpful ideas, but they are ideas for a teacher with more flexibility. I would love to use a site like blogspot.com. I use it for my blog, however our county is very sensitive on this site. We are resricted to a school site that takes to long to access with my students.

I went back to the NET-S site and found another goal that I am actually a big part of in my school right now. As a teaching professional, I would like to communicate relative information with my students, parents, and peers using digital tools and media. One requirement at our school is to have a team page and bio. I have spoke with my tech supervisor to activate more flex pages to our site for parents and students. I have already set up pages where students can practice the VA Regions and current math skills. I also added two computer math programs so students can work on a current skill or take part in math critical thinking and challenge work. On our site there is a way to icorporate a newsletter. I had parent asking me at open house about how I owuld communicate with themwhat we are doing in the classroom periodically. Wehave a school newsletter, but it oly goes out a few times a year. I was planning to let my students build this page and find a way to use the digital camera, which deals with my first goal. As I move forward I plan to add more links for students to practice and learn. I already had a student tell me how great it was to go home and practice without picking up a pencil. I am looking for other ideas to reach out to my students and parents. What have you added to your school web pages?

7 comments:

  1. gradrunner,

    I know you have been looking for a friendly blog site, but I have another suggestion for you. Have you ever used Wallwisher? A colleague introduced me to this Website, www.wallwisher.com, and it is very easy to use. She uses it with her students on a regular basis. You create a wall with a question, and your students post to it. Since it is not a blog, it may be possible for you to avoid your district’s restrictions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mintzer,

    I'm going to look into this right now?
    Thanks for passing this along to me. I'll check it out and get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried the WallWisher site. I through something together in minutes. Here is what I did. http://www.wallwisher.com/wall/J2FQU7agE5
    If you have a second can you check it out and make up a post. I take it that I can bring this up in my classroom and students can get o the link and post to it. I see they can add images and video. Thanks. I am brainstorming ideas for this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gradrunner,

    I posted a note for you! I am so glad that this will work. I did notice that there is a limited space available for comments, so students will need to be brief and to the point. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mintzer

    I used Wallwisher when I was at the ISTE national conference over the summer. I am so glad I read your post, as I had forgotten about this great instructional tool. Thank you!

    @ gradrunner

    A technique that I have found beneficial with my class website is that I send out the link to all of my parents at the beginning of the year and ask them to bookmark it. I also send out the link each week to remind them when the website has been updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barlow,

    Thanks for the idea to communicate with parents on updated links. I have all my parent e-mails and most of them have access to technology. This will also give me another way to communicate, letting parents know that I have offered enrichment and challenging activities to meet student needs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mintzer,

    Thanks for the help and the update on how mush can be accessed on the page. I received your post on my wall. I'm not sure that it can take the place of a blog, but for 4th graders it is a stepping stone in that direction. I ca use this for working on fact and opinion activities, settings in reading, graphing, etc... I see many possibilities. Thanks again. It kind of reminds me of VoiceThread, but more user friendly.

    ReplyDelete