Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blogging Use for Government Classes

I teach 8th grade civics/economics. One idea for student blogging would be current events. We are currently working on political party campaigning and platform issues. My students are learning to see where they lean on the liberal/conservative spectrum of political issues. I'd like to use a blog introducing political cartoons. In my class, I'd like to use newspaper and online resources to piggy-back on topics covered in class. So, after introducing the evaluation of political cartoons, I'd like to put up some cartoons with questions for further practice. This would give my students a chance to share their thoughts. Some of my students timid and it may open doors for them. I also get to see further evidence of their learning outside of class.

I think this would be a good place to continue current events issues with my class. As we move on I can introduce new material to the blog. We head onto advertising and bias/propaganda. There is so much out there, not in the textbook. I can also cut down time and pull the resources to my blog, instead of students trying to find articles, cartoons, and pictures. It would be like an educational controlled atmosphere, or a teacherstudent current events journal page. I would also want my students posting to other students. It would give them different perspectives and insights on topics in the real world. I think it would promote critical thinking, and better connections, that are so vital in education.

My only challenge will be to use it on this blog. Our county has limits using outside blogs. They are concerned with liability and student control? I have asked our TRT. We do offer a blog site that is approved by the county. I already know it is not as user friendly, but I guess it is a start. I have to get approval first, then I can set it up so it is attached to my webpage through the school.

If anyone has other thoughts or blog ideas geared toward 8th grade civics/economics material, let me know. -- thanks for any feedback

7 comments:

  1. Not sure if you do this already, but what about having the students take a story from the high school, local, or state newspaper and have them draw political cartoons? You could post a gallery of the images on the blog....
    Also here is a link to a great story that was featured on NPR a couple years back about the actors who do voice-overs in political commercials (very interesting and great to share with your students)
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6444183

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gradrunner I like your idea about the political cartoons. Our school district in Ohio also doesn't have the most user friendly site in the world. I will pass it on to our high school government teachers. Have you thought about using the blog to some how offer extra credit? Giving them a question or assignment and a time frame to research the question & then post an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jay,
    I like the idea you have in how you will integrate blogging in your classroom. At my school we use the Blackboard website for our teacher pages. In Blackboard there is a blog tool where I can set up my own blogging site which will be connected to my own web page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to thank all of you for throwing your comments and suggestions my way. I have been trying to figure out how to set up blog use with my classes. In my county we are limited, so I am checking to see how I can implement this technology tool to my teaching. Thanks for the reminder on Blackboard. I will be checking with my TRT this week to see if this can be accessed to my web-page at school.

    Offering questions to research, answer, and post would be a good approach to extend learning and challenge students to go beyond standard content. We are not allowed to offer extra-credit at our school because it conflicts with teaching to mastery. However, I will look to find another way to get students involved with blogging.

    The suggestion to look at newspapers and create political cartoon for a blog was interesting. I never thought of putting up pictures. We could post the cartoon and analyze what the student cartoonist(s) is trying to show. We are practicing this right now in class. And thanks for the npr.org link. I checked it out, and the campaign commercial voice overs are great. We are also covering bias/propaganda. I like the negative campaigning, and it will help my students understand campaign ads in a different light.

    Thank you everyone again for your feedback on my blogging ideas. You offered great extensions and other avenues I can use in the life of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me nervous to have students with their own blog sites. I would not want to be responsible for creating a "MySpace" atmosphere accidentally. I'd love to see a rubric or instructional plan for how to set this idea up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,

    I think the students talking about current events will be a great idea. How would you overcome the current issues? What about students who have differences of opinions of things that may create arguments? How would you handle this? I would give students topics each time they blog so they don't bring in things that may cause conflict. Happy Blogging with your students and Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Amy. We will heading out of the country to warm weather ;) And thanks for the suggestions on the civics activities. I have set up a blog with political cartoons. Students will focus on what I put up and provide feedback. Hopefully this will cut down on conflict. If we do run into some differences on current event topics, I would like to use the conflict as a way to diplomatically debate the issue. This would further help help in their decision making and advanced communication skills. You enjoy your holiday break, and I'll chat with you soon.

    ReplyDelete